Monday, February 13, 2012

A Puppet Theatre

For my son, the world is really becoming his stage. His sense of humour has really developed in the last few months and he revels in giggling and making others giggle with his antics.

We were looking through a sewing book recently, and he picked out a pattern to make a puppet theatre. It sounded like just venue for his creativity and performance to shine.

 Now, I love this book because it's just my kind of laid-back sewing.  The author provides hand sketches and measurements, but no patterns, and most of the projects are easy and fun. In fact, it's a little more care than I normally take sewing! I actually followed her instructions to iron seams and turn outs, and what a difference it makes in the final product (probably not news at all to those who sew...but a revelation to me). If it's any indication, my son said "Mummy, I've never seen you iron" when I go the iron out. Out of the mouths of babes.

The puppet theatre involves making a hanging cloth theatre with window and curtains that can hang from a small tension rod in any doorway. It also includes a thin bag to pack it all up in! I was particularly keen on this aspect instead of using a big box that takes up half the living room.

Q picked out the fabric he wanted to use (most of it is from secondhand sheets that we buy at the local St. Vicent de Paul) and helped me measure and mark for the cuts. He even helped iron. After that he lost a little interest and I got to putter at my sewing machine by myself for a couple hours.

We've been taking turns the last two evenings watching and giving puppet shows. It's great fun for all of us and the source of much mirth. We've even instituted a little puppet improv when we're short on ideas, inviting the audience to think of an article of clothing, a mode of transportation, and a food (or some such random combination to include in our shows).


No comments:

Post a Comment